What topics can I ask about here?
Programmers Stack Exchange is a Q&A site for professionals and students in software development and related fields who are interested in getting expert answers on conceptual questions about software development.
If you have a question about...
- software requirements
- software architecture and design
- algorithm and data structure concepts
- development methodologies and processes
- software engineering management
- quality assurance and testing
- software licensing
and it is not about...
- general workplace issues, office politics, and job hunting (check out The Workplace instead)
- implementation issues, such as code fixes (ask on Stack Overflow instead)
- coding tools, such as compilers, debuggers, and IDEs (ask on Stack Overflow instead)
- what language/technology you should learn next, including which technology is better
- what project you should do next
- what book you should read next
- where to find a software library, tool or other resource
- product or service recommendations
- career advice, salary, or compensation
- personal lifestyle, including relationships and non-programming activities
- legal assistance
...then you're in the right place to ask your question!
Please make sure your question uniquely applies to programmers in general:
Subjective questions are allowed, but subjective does not mean "anything goes". Please keep it professional. If this is a question you'd be uncomfortable discussing with your colleagues in a work environment, it's probably not appropriate here, either. For more information about subjective questions, please see the Help Center page about what not to ask as well as the Good Subjective, Bad Subjective and Real Questions Have Answers blog posts for details and examples.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Programmers Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new side at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.