Here is my situation:
- I am switching to a new company in a new city as an engineer [code, test, performance etc].
- I was not particularly successful in my previous role [at least not as per my immediate manager] and finally decided to quit on good terms.
- The new job is exciting [I haven't started it yet]. I am the first engineer for this new team and there is no existing code for what I would be working on, except an old prototype.
- I have to work closely with sister teams to bootstrap my product.
- I am due for a performance review within 5 months. I will have to take a few weeks vacation toward the end of it. I am a little anxious about this since I think 5 months isn't much time for me to bootstrap and show some early successes.
- I am working in a new space I am not familiar with though the stack is mostly Java, Apache, etc. which I am more comfortable than other stacks out there.
I am currently reading First 90 Days though it is a bit more focused on leadership rather than engineers. I am an engineer and not manager though would like to move to leadership roles future in my career.
Thanks for your input and I will add more details if someone requests.