What are good interview questions to ask a candidate for a sales engineer position? We're an enterprise software company and the candidate we hire needs to be able to (and I think this holds for any company hiring to this position). I write "customer (programmer)" because the customer is almost always a programmer.
- Give clear answers to customer (programmer) questions.
- Focus on how we address the customer (programmer) needs, not list out features.
- Sound enthusiastic when talking/demonstrating to the customer (programmer).
- When demonstrating a feature, explain why it is of value to the customer (programmer).
- Care a great deal about providing quality support to customers (programmers).
So, any suggested questions, things to watch for, etc? (Even though a sales engineer is a programmer, what we need is quite different because programming skills can be average but communication skills are very important.)