I was thinking about organizing a "Hack Day" at work, think google's 20% time but just for 1 whole day (maybe just once per year or quarter). Similar to Atlassian Fedex Days I'd like for all the developers in our group to have a free day to work on any kind of project / technology they like and then show it off.
Ideally, developers have fun programming without worrying about their day to day projects or technology restrictions and at the same time we can generate some cool ideas that could turn into future projects or patents etc.
Do you have any tips / suggestions for me?
- Has anyone organized something similar before?
- Any pitfalls to watchout for or tips for success?
- Any resources I should request to make the day go better? day more productive /enjoyable?
- Should I encourage / enforce groups? Or is it better for people to work on things individually?
- What can I use to persuade management to support this?