I'm starting to study a project that mainly will allows users to make payments from their iPhones or Androids. Since I don't have e-commerce experience and also I have never owned a smart phone, I ask you to give me some orientation on what is important when heading this kind of project.
What is making me doubt
- Is it possible to do this witout apple or google refusing my app or charging my transactions with amounts similar to 30%?
- Is google checkout an alternative to paypal or am I getting this wrong?
- For debit card payment, what are the most common payment services in the US nowadays?
- How high is the technical complexity of that application? Is it very different to do it for iPhone and do it for Android?
What I already know:
- The payments has nothing to do with the application itself; this is not an in-app scenario.
- We would like to go live with Android and iOS, but it would be acceptable to start with only one of them.
- No credit card information will be stored by the application; a payment gateway like PayPal should by in charge of the actual money movement.
Why Am I asking this?
Someone is asking me to develop an iOS or Android application for allowing his cutomers to add money into their customer cards.
Details of the application requeriment:
- This service would be available only in the US.
- The application will cost a fix amount to download.
- It is initially required for iOS or Android but off course, bb's and why not wp7 could need to be supported soon.
Searching stackoverflow and then the web I came to the feeling of Apple and Google being restrictive to this kind of applications, I also would like to know if it is true.
I've found Starbucks' mobile app to be a very good example of what I need as the link says: To reload the card, customers can link it to a debit, credit card or PayPal account
I wonder if doing that is possible for any application or if there is a commercial agreement between starbucks and Apple behind.
Thanks for your help!