We release a number of small plug-ins that go along with our software. Each plug-in allows our software to talk to a single manufactuer's hardware. I would like to devise a system for keeping track of plug-in releases.
Example info that should be stored:
- Hardware manufacturer name
- 32-bit? 64-bit? both?
- What modes of operation does the hardware support?
- What versions of the manufacturer's driver have been tested with the plugin?
Desirable properties of the system:
- Able to synchronize with version control software
- Stores data in human-readable text file (also good for differ tool)
- Free visual, spreadsheet-like editor available
- Able to do simple analysis like "What is the oldest plug-in?"
I've got to imagine that someone else has tackled this problem already. Right now my best guess is XML/JSON with a visual editor, but I have been disappointed in the editors I've tried so far. I'd like to get input from some more experienced developers. Thanks!