My company has 2 Intranets (one technical, and one commercial), I am the administrator of the technical Intranet. We need to see if a client has a contract for a service we offer. As such, for ease of use (for us in the tech department) I made a button in our Intranet that reads data via
ajax->php->curl->dom from the commercial intranet, gets the type of the contract, and if it's valid prints the contracts into a DIV tag. So we don't have to open a new tab, look up the client, go through all the commercial info in there just to see something as simple as "yes is ok" or "no disable the service").
Now the admin from the commercial Intranet (the nephew of somebody on the Board) went to the Board complaining that we steal information from them according to this internal decision:
Any addition of new functions, any changes to the current functions or operating procedures of any service related to commercial databases provided by the company will be made only with approval from the Board.
But we did not add new functions, we did not modify existing functions or procedures, we just read the data with curl instead of a normal browser.
I am into optimizations, efficiency, and user-friendly experience so in our Intranet with 2 or 3 clicks (and max 3 seconds) you get the info you need, otherwise I think I did something wrong and I try to improve. The script we are talking about returns the data to the user in around 1 - 3 seconds, but now the Board forbids us to use it anymore, and our team is slower (you need about 2-5 minutes, and around 8-12 clicks to find a client with the commercial intranet (it's a real mess).
P.S. I know you are not lawers, just give a programmer point of view.