We are a team of about 15 employees, in a non-IT enterprise. Today, we mainly develop websites, using PHP, MySQL, etc. We run a bit less than 100 linux servers on ourselves.
But today, we are confronted with a too-big-for-us-to-code project. We selected a great provider (yes, outsourcing), and now they ask us to choose between C++/Qt and .NET/WPF.
The app is highly graphical, and meant to be distributed on Windows systems. .NET is recommanded to us as easier to design and more lightweight.
But what about our team ? Can we handle, with our small number, both universes at the same time ?
- during the dev : design the app, review the code
- after the dev : host servers, do maintenance and answer user calls
- in the case we need a v2, we intend to call back the same provider
What do you think ?
We finally chose C++/Qt. The reasons are :
- the dev time has been tested to be somewhat equal
- it suits us better from a management point of view
- and it increases cross-platform portability