I am trying to find a name for this architectural pattern that I have seen in many places before:
Poller - (There are a number of these)
- These are either plugins or services acting on there own
- communicate with equipment of various sorts collecting data and pushing that data to a central service in a normalized form.
- each poller knows how to communicate with a particular device,
- collects the devices status but does not act on it, just passes it on.
- Receives normalized data, files it in key / value store.
- Periodically (or by some trigger) evaluates conditions that refer to the data. The conditions cause some action to occur (like an event to be logged, or message to be sent to an operator)