I'm working as a independent software developer for mobile applications. A customer asks me to develop a mobile app. So at the moment I'm calculating the time and effort to write an offer for this project.
The app itself will only be used for a certain time as it is related to a certain event after that if will be useless. But the base functionality of the app will be reusable for other customers who want to have a similar app for their event.
At the moment I'm wondering if it is OK to develop the app for the customer let him pay the development and reuse part of the source code for another customer's app?
So what would be the best way for me to deal with this scenario?
- To whom belongs the source code of the app?
- Do I have to give the source code to the customer as they paid for the development?
- If I have to, can I still keep a copy of it and reuse it later?
- Do I have to ask the customer to reuse the code?
- Do I have to work with some kind of licensing model here. And let the first customer only pay a certain part of the development so I can reuse the code without any concerns?
I hope I made my situation clear. I'm looking forward to you answers.