First of all, is not a programming matter, is a programmer afair.
I'm the new web programmer in my company.
I'm here just for 2 weeks. And they want me to teach Wordpress, configure & install it, and things like that.
But they have a intranet too to make all the compatibility stuff, tracking clients, ordering event, auto-emailing.
Well, the intranet is very nice, and they spent 1 or 2 years with a programmer to do that.
But the problem is:
The intranet is great for the user (a bad UI experience but works well).
They have it from 4 or 5 years now.
But if you go to the code, it is annoying.
Seriously, it's really really really heavy, code duplicated, insecure. All works ok, but all is wrong in code view.
- The site keeps 4GB of disk space (without DB!)
- There where thousands of files, folders, with no order
- A lot of files are duplicated
- There were, at least, 20-40 files you have to configure to change the database source
- Some config files are in .ini, so i can download from anywhere
- The sites was coded for 4.0 or 3.x, miraculously it works on 5.x with some warnings.
- The site was coded without any kind of scalability, they just copy and paste files and keep working, no includes, nothing.
For example: I see, at least 40 files called check_in.php in different folders.
Functions called: paste() paste_2()...
What points you will use to convince your boss to take care of that and refactor all the whole site?
It's a pain in the ass. I know refactor all gonna be hard, but I think it's the better way to continue my work.
Because they want me to make modifications on that and I have to spent 3 hours just to understand from where comes that **** function called paste() and what exactly do.
Ah, one more good point.
There's no documentation at all.