I'm starting to design a game that is going to have the following characteristics, and I'm trying to decide how I should program it. I'll also give a bit of my experience after, to help make the decision a bit better.
- The game should be able to support both Facebook integration, and a stand alone version.
- I don't want to do it right away, but I am thinking it would be a good idea to port this to Android/ iPhone at some point in time.
- The game will involve communication with a server. The method of communication is still opened, but I imagine most of it will be over HTTPS. I'm suspecting most of the work is going to be done on the server at this point in time, and that the client is mainly going to show the results of the previous frame, and select what to do for the next frame.
- I suspect that at some point in time, I'm going to want to put in animations and the like, but this is not critical for the beginning of the game.
- The game is essentially an online board game, complete with cards, a board, etc.
I'm currently looking at Flash, HTML 5, and a Java applet. Some random pieces of information.
- I have access to Adobe Flash, actually the whole Design Premium, CS5.
- I have some experience with programming Android apps.