I have been told about a position that may be open to me - the role of a Software Delivery Manager. From what I understand this role does not already exist within my organisation.
To be perfectly honest I'm not quite sure what a Software Delivery Manager's roles are. I have a few ideas and would appreciate some input around whether they are correct or not, or if there is anything missing:
- ensure the quality of the software being delivered
- document the relationships between the components being delivered
- ensure that the delivery of these components does not break other components
- ensure that the components being developed make the best use of the environments they are being deployed in
- being on-hand during software deliveries (though not actually performing the delivery of software, rather giving the Go)
I have also been told that the role would include some software development work (which is important to me being a developer at heart!) - is there software development specifically associated with the role of Software Delivery Manager or is this more likely to just be a case of helping the team out when time is short?