Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I intend to sell a software solution. I have already registered a domain but I don't have a registered company. Can I use my website/domain name ( for the licensor field in the EULA rather than using my name?

I will renew my domain yearly if there is a problem with this. Do you know any software companies that work like this?

I'm confused about the users point of view will they find it a bit different.

share|improve this question

The usual IANAL applies - for legal advice, consult a lawyer.

That said, my understanding is that a domain name or a website are not themselves legal persons, and thus cannot close any legally binding agreements. Natural persons and corporations can, and the way these things are usually done is by defining the domain name or website URL as the legal person closing the agreement in the first section of the agreement - something like this:

John Doe, Example Way 15, Someplace 12345 ('') and ____ ('licensee') hereby agree upon the following: ...

In any case, EULA's are legally tricky, especially if you consider that multiple countries with conflicting laws may be involved, so if the EULA is vital to you, by all means spend some money on actual legal consult.

share|improve this answer

You say "registered company", so you're not here in the USA, where we have corporations, LLCs, partnerships, doing-business-as ("DBAs"), etc. Most places where there are registered companies are British Commonwealth countries, where there is usually some organization like the UK's Companies House that is the registrar. Such places have very strict laws about doing business in your own name or a registered name.

Short answer, you probably shouldn't do this. Long answer, contact the local equivalent of a lawyer for advice, not a bunch of programmers :-)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.