Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In this particular website, when you hover your mouse over a particular region, it displays something that is clickable. I know of tool tips, but in my experience, I have only used tool tips to show static text, not click able html text.

What technology do you think is being used here? Also, is this a tool tip?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

These aren't tooltips like those created with a title attribute in HTML. This is normally called a "rich tooltip" and is done using an absolutely or relatively positioned HTML element with an appropriate z-index if required, so full HTML markup can be used. While it could be done with CSS alone in modern browsers, Javascript is most often used to show and hide the element, sometimes with a fade effect.

Many Javascript UI libraries implement similar functionality, see e.g. this JQuery UI demo, dijit.Tooltip, etc.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. But in the jquery example, as soon as I go over the tooltip, it vanishes. – Kaushik Apr 29 '12 at 7:09
I find that it doesn't if you click in the field first (so that it gains focus). That tooltip seems to be a work in progress, see for discussion & documentation. – Thorn Apr 29 '12 at 7:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.