When doing freelance work on websites, as part of my service, I offer email addresses and inbox storage. I currently use a postfix/courier stack. I tend to point people towards setting up a separate gmail account, however, just for all their business emails, I then forward as many aliases as they want to this address. I do this because:
- Much better web based client than I could even hope to offer
- Still integrates with IMAP/POP clients on the desktop/phones
- Much less stress on my server and my admittedly flimsy set up
Points against this:
- Much less professional, I can support multiple users
firstname.lastname@example.org they all have to go to one gmail account, unless they set up multiple inboxes there too.
- Doesn't look great that I can't offer a decent email service and just point them elsewhere
- I've got much less control if something goes wrong for them (I provided it to begin with which makes me somewhat responsible to help them)
What do other freelancers do when providing email services along with websites?
- Google Apps?
- Better server side setup?
- Purposly don't offer email service?
- Any other service?