Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am wondering if I would need to license the Metro style or if I can just freely use it in my own applications. I mean, is it patented or protected in any way that would prevent me from building my own implementation? I effectively would like to copy the visible part of it.

I like to idea of being able to:

  • Provide an interface which is used somewhere else (as in 1 less to learn)
  • Use the interface that has been tested for usability (I personally like it)
  • Have the possibility of getting free publicity because of implementing full Metro style web application while not associated with Microsoft, etc.
share|improve this question
@Jeremy Heiler Why did you edit my question? There was nothing wrong with it. Title is misleading now because I AM able to implement it. If you want to reword my question completely why can't you ask your own? – LukeP Jun 10 '12 at 20:33
If you dislike the edit, feel free to roll it back. You already have two close-votes, so I was just trying to help you out. (Also, asking a duplicate question is against the rules...) – Jeremy Heiler Jun 10 '12 at 20:35
Also, I meant to say "Am I legally able to..." in the title, but I took it out because I wasn't sure and forgot to re-address the issue before I made the edit. Sorry. – Jeremy Heiler Jun 10 '12 at 20:38
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I remember reading about this and shaking my head in disgust:

So, no, you can't legally copy their interface and reap the benefits of their UI development. If you are just looking for a side project to work on, I say go for it and have fun. If you are looking to market and sell your application with your Metro interface, I say contact Microsoft and ask about a licence to do it. I wouldn't suggest just going for it as you might find yourself at the end of some legal nastiness if you do.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.