I am wondering what is the best way to handle the situation of marking a bug as resolved and providing a version of component/product in which this fix can be found.
For a project I am working on, we are using Bugzilla for issue tracking, and we have the following:
- A product "A" with a version number like vA.B.C.D,
This product "A" have the following components:
- Component "C1" with a version number like vA.B.C.D,
- Component "C2" with a version number like vA.B.C.D,
- Component "C3" with a version number like vA.B.C.D.
Internally we keep track of which component versions have been used to generate the product A version vA.B.C.D.
Example: Product "A" version v220.127.116.11 has been produced from component "C1" v18.104.22.168, component "C2" v22.214.171.124 and component "C3" v126.96.36.199.
And Product "A" version v188.8.131.52 has been produced from component "C1" v184.108.40.206, component "C2" v220.127.116.11 and component "C3" v18.104.22.168.
Each component is a SVN repository.
The person in charge of generating the product "A" have only access to the different components tags folder in SVN, and not the trunk of each component repository.
Now the problem is the following, when a bug is found in the product "A", and that the bug is related to Component "C1", the version of product "A" is chosen (e.g. v22.214.171.124), and this version allow the developer to know which version of component "C1" has the bug (here it will be v126.96.36.199). A bug report is created.
Now let's say that the developer responsible for component "C1" corrects the bug, then when the bug seems to be fixed and after some test and validation, the developer generates a new tag for component "C1", with the version v188.8.131.52. At this time, the developer of component "C1" needs to update the bug report, but what is the best to do:
- Mark the bug as resolved/fixed and add a comment saying "This bug has been fixed in the tags v184.108.40.206 of C1 component" ?
- Keep the bug as assigned, add a comment saying "This bug has been fixed in the tags v220.127.116.11 of C1 component, update this bug status to resolved for the next version of the product that will be generated with the newest version (v18.104.22.168 of C1)" ?
- Another possible way to deal with this problem.
Right now the problem is that when a product component CX is fixed, it is not sure in which future version of the product A it will be included, so it is for me not possible to say in which version of the product it will be solved, but it is possible to say in which version of the Component CX it has been solved. So when do we need to mark a bug as solved, when the product A version include the fixed version of CX, or only when CX component has been fixed ?
Thanks for your personal feedback and ideas about this !