We are building a business application (a laboratory management system to be more precise) mostly for internal company use only. To make it easier for users to find items which they work on we are implementing a list of most used items.
We had a little debate on which method would be better to implement: display the most recent vs display the most used.
My arguments on most-recent
- A little bit easier to implement. I think this is worth to mention because we are dealing with business application which will be sold as a single copy, so this may directly effect application price. Also simpler implementation means less code and may effect maintenance code.
- Counterargument: difference in implementation difficulty in this case is too small
- It is easier for users to guess what will they find in this list so they know if it is worth to look at the list at all.
- Items which were relative yesterday and used a lot might not be relevant today and in recent item list they quickly disappear.
My arguments on most-used
- Actually it is quite easy to display a mixed version of recently-used and most-used by combining last access date and a number of access something like this
(today - lastaccess) * number_of_access
- Counterargument: this requires fine-tuning
What arguments would you give for one or another?