Take the 2-minute tour ×
Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Quick question guys. It may be country dependent so this question is more directed towards EU citizens. If I did a programming job, raised an invoice but never got paid, am I still holding the copyrights and can disallow use of the software? No specific contract regarding copyrights was signed upfront.

I don't know if you can help, but though asking you guys may be worth a shot

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by maple_shaft Oct 4 '12 at 0:29

Questions on Programmers Stack Exchange are expected to relate to software development within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

But did you specify on the contract that you own the copyright to the software? And do you have some legal proof of that? (digital signature? copyright office registration?) This stuff helps. –  ZJR Oct 3 '12 at 22:02
No, that's the thing. Only contract details in this particular case were estimates and cost. I'm asking about .. hmm.. how to call it, a 'deafult' setting where copyrights matter was not specified on the contract. Who has more rights to the code when such thing was not specified in the contract - author of the code, or entity the code was written for, but never paid for –  vault-boy Oct 3 '12 at 22:09
You have not provided enough information even for a speculative answer (and we don't even like that kind of answer here) let-alone a concrete answer to the question. –  Loki Astari Oct 3 '12 at 23:19
You could see if these are relevant: programmers.stackexchange.com/search?q=copyright+ownership+EU –  Loki Astari Oct 3 '12 at 23:21
Legal questions are off topic on this site. Please read the FAQ for more information on what kinds of questions we are looking for on Programmers. –  maple_shaft Oct 4 '12 at 0:30

1 Answer 1

Find a reputable lawyer and consult with him. Seriously, just hire a lawyer. This is a legal issue concerning your locality and lawyer knows how to deal with that.

Getting answers from SE or forums may simply mis-lead you to make assumptions. Thus, just have a consultation with lawyer. Btw, most offices in US allow a 10-15min, free consultation on a phone. Thus, just find the local one and give them a call.

share|improve this answer
+1 as this particular instance (enforcing the copyright) really calls for a legal action of some sort. –  ZJR Oct 3 '12 at 22:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.