Sign up ×
Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. It's 100% free.

I have heard several terms for a C++ "Codepoint" (which is what I've heard used the most often), or a .cpp file that is compiled into an object file.

For instance, .cpp files can include other .cpp files (or any other file, really, so long as it compiles), but during compilation, there is really only one 'main' code file that is used/generated.

I know there is a widely accepted term, I just can't recall what it is.

What is the accepted term for the final .c/.cpp file used to generate an object file?

share|improve this question
compilation unit? – rwong Dec 20 '12 at 6:34
That is probably the most accurate. That one had slipped my mind. – Qix Dec 20 '12 at 6:36

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

A source file passed to the compiler, together with the content included through preprocessor directives, is called a translation unit or shorter, TU.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.