Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a terminology question.

I was searching about tips to design a website that is using less server-side code and more client-side code, and realized I don't really know which exact term to search if there is one. Example: Maximizing CDNs usage for library, using widgets when possible, integration of client-side social-media SDKs.

So my question is not about tips themselves, but about the existence of such a term.

Edit: I already know about SPAs and Client-Side Javascript Frameworks. This is what brings me to wonder if there's a name to an approach where you focus on client-side code at a point that you maximize external resources.

share|improve this question
I take it my suggestion of searching for "Client-Side Javascript Frameworks" or "Client-Side HTML5 Frameworks" didn't work for you. – Robert Harvey Jan 22 '13 at 20:01
You seem to be deeply focused on what this thing is called. Why? If you must know, it's called "Client-Server" or "Fat Client." The opposite approach is "Thin-client" or "Multi-tier." – Robert Harvey Jan 22 '13 at 20:08
I'm currently using knockout. But yes, without a client-side JS framework, only using client code to display data wouldn't be imaginable. – Léon Pelletier Jan 22 '13 at 20:08
@Robert Yes, how it is called is what is interesting me. Knowing how a thing is called is often useful when the core of the problem is 'how can I search for this'. – Léon Pelletier Jan 22 '13 at 20:10
You mean the "fat client" one? It's not especially meaningful; you'll get much better mileage if you search for "client-side frameworks," and let your explorations happen from there. – Robert Harvey Jan 22 '13 at 20:12

What if we flip this around and talk about how the client and server interacts and not necessarily which has more code. I've seen this called (and this is a phrase I like):


share|improve this answer
Interesting term. If the server-side code is not there to provide the MVC algorithms since a JS client-side framework is already doing most of the job, then it's only there to provide some functions and resources, thus API-centric. I'll try this keyword in my searches too. – Léon Pelletier Jan 23 '13 at 1:57

I can't guarantee less server-side code, but you might want to search for:

  • Single Page Applications (a.k.a. SPAs)
share|improve this answer
Thanks. I would make such websites SPAs for sure. I'm just wondering if there's a name for an approach like the one I'm describing. Because using less server-side code and maximizing external ressources usage is definitively an approach which has a lot of repercussions on a website design. – Léon Pelletier Jan 22 '13 at 20:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.