Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.
I work for a small company, in which few people are developers, others are QA/Test and 1 is a Manager. I joined this company 1.5 years ago. 3 senior developers have 8+ years of experience.
These are the observations which I made about the team lead. (considering me as a fresher with less experience compared to them in all aspects )
- They never discuss 1:1 or they never consider the junior suggestion (I agree that it's up to them, whether they accept it or not, at least they should consider an opinion).
- As senior team leader they can try to refactor the codebase with new technologies ( including the factor of rolling out new technologies is possible and other developer and infrastructure also ready), but these team leader feel less in-secure to work with new technologies, as they are not up to date. (reason I am telling, they don't know what current programming trend, *(such as popular open source projects like modernizr, bootstrap and many others).
- In our codebase more than 10000+ lines are repeated, so I told them about
DRY: Don't Repeat yourself. Their reply was : "It is a fascinating article, but never works in practice". I just told them if we do not make it 100% DRY, we can at least use interfaces, but that also was not considered. *(interfaces can be added for new features, not touching the previous codebase, if they are not ready to refactor)
- All senior developers do maintenance and hot fixing of patches. The rest of the time they just spend on entertainment sites. They are just happy to finish the task.
- Introducing new technology is bad? *(including factor of feasibility can be done).
- Manager also least concerned about the things which I am talking about.
- Junior expects they can learn many things from team lead. *(not by asking help or senior coding for them).
My questions are:
- Am I too aggressive about the changes which I am proposing?
- What should I expect from senior dev leads who have 8+ years experience?
- Am I wrong to expect to learn and gain experience from a company?
Why they feel DRY is impractical: because they don't want get involved with OOP concepts. They are happy with repeating tasks.
New technologies I am proposing:
- Usage of Minification of CSS, JS, SPrite images
- Usage of Interfaces and .net framework 4, generics and many others.
- Client side libraries such as modernizr, knockout js, bootstrap for responsive,