Note: This is a crosspost from: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14761241/discussion-tool-for-developers
I'm part of a group of developers who are spread around the country. As you can imagine, collaboration is a non-trivial exercise. Is there a tool that facilitates discussions? Here are my constraints:
- can't be hosted on our internal servers
- needs to support nested discussions (or at least fork off existing ones)
- must be able to restrict logins and permissions per discussion
What I've looked at:
- Supports forking discussions, and doesn't need internal hosting, but can't have private discourses.
- Supports nested discussions, can restrict logins, clunky UI (keeps asking to save a discussion and there's no save action on the page)
- Can have private subreddits, don't need to host it, per se, but there's a stigma with a company hosting its discussions on there
Any other suggestions?
Thank you for your time :)