Which technology / architecture would you recommend for a startup planning to write a social web app?
I see the following candidates, and would like your opinion, as I do think this is the right place to ask
- Google App Engine + GWT (free but no RDBMS yet)
- Jruby, Grails, ROR or other rapid convention over configuration frameworks
- PHP (what is good for Facebook is good for me?) + MYSQL
- Plain old Java (Spring/Seam + Hibernate / other JPA) + Jquery / Struts2
- ASP.NET MVC with its rapid turnaround and large 3rd party component market
My current choice is #1, but I was wondering if there is a community consensus on some of the items.
For client side I plan using when possible JQuery / Sancha(ExtJS) Any recommendation on other client frameworks? should I even consider Flex? Silverlight?
Although this is not directly a programming question, I urge you to comment if you think this question should be revised, or moved to another location, or was answered recently.