Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For commercial and licensing purposes, what is the correct wording for differentiating JavaScript source code (written by the programmer and including comments) from the minified version used in production?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think you'll generally find it is called a debug build (example: KnockoutJS), or development build/version (example: BackboneJS), or "uncompressed build" (example: JQuery).

I think that all three variants are clear to anyone downloading them.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! And how would you call the production/minified version? – Christophe Mar 28 '13 at 16:48
well, either "production" or "minified" build/version :-) Nothing wrong with that – Jalayn Mar 28 '13 at 16:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.