It is our first game and we are a start-up. We had a programmer who suddenly is seeming to be a dead weight. Though we knew him personally we thought that he was as motivated as we are and hence I never looked for a code review or documentation. Now it seems that he is slacking a lot and we want him out.
Now during a conversation he said that he would not document the code so as we could be dependent on him. I looked at the code and there is no documentation.
The code is all over the place. What would be the best way to understand his code?
Details of the code:
- Written in C# and targeting a mobile platform using Unity3D.
- The game play mechanic and camera is scripts are the main and they have no documentation.
- Too much of Send/Broadcast messages so I am not able to see the references through Mono.
- Again hefty use of strings in either invoking methods or passing parameters
- Update function everywhere which could have been reduced to coroutines.
- Naming is poor and inconsistet
- Absolutely no pooling with usage of destroy and instantiation. I am expecting memory leaks.
What protocols should I adopt to understand the code and work on top it?