I want to create a socket server with the following requirements:
- listen for incoming UDP packets on an ip/port, which are encoded in hexadecimal values (binary) on Ubuntu server 12.04.
- Decode the hex values into UTF-8 format.
- Handle more than 10,000 socket connections per day.
- Handle multi-threading, that is, handling multiple connections concurrently.
- Update decoded values to PostgresSQL database.
I really want to do this in pure ruby (no Rails). From my research I notice that others have used Python, Java, and C++ for socket servers.
Is one of these languages more suitable for socket servers, or can I select any of them and expect similar performance?