Take the 2-minute tour ×
Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So if you have programmed in any IDE or simple editor (sublime text, textmate, Vim) you will probably have had the editor place closing bracket using autocomplete. I would like to know if there is some way I can skip the latter and if so if there is some kind of universal name for it.

To illustrate I have the following example: Lets say you make a new css rule in sublime text 2. The editor will help you by placing a ";" right after you press ":". So you type the value of the css rule. But now you cursor is placed before the ";" therefore I need to use the arrow keys to move past it and press enter to move the new line. Using the arrow keys takes me out of my default typing position. Same problem occurs when autocomplete finishes a function and puts the cursor between the ().

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by MichaelT, GlenH7, gnat, Yusubov, Dan Pichelman Jul 24 '13 at 19:40

  • This question does not appear to be about software development within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

some will put the cursor behind the ; if you type it (as in it won't add another) –  ratchet freak Jul 23 '13 at 21:58
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a general implementation issue within editors and is not about a design or conceptual programming problem. –  GlenH7 Jul 24 '13 at 3:26
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

End usually works well.

The Emacs shortcut is C-e. Don't know what it is in vim, though I'm sure there is one, End key for most editors (though that does take your hands away from the home position, it's only one key rather than potentially multiple.

Otherwise most editors that I've used (Visual Studio, Sublime Text) skip the text if you type the character that it has just inserted (], ')', ; etc). IE typing :; will give you ": ;" not ": ;;".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.