I am looking for standards regarding open source code release. Most of the time, one may find a copyright statement and a few lines about the project at the beginning of each file, but I am having a hard time finding general guidelines and good practices, beyond the peculiarities of each project or license type.
There are related questions which provide answers for specific cases but no general answer to this particular question (imho):
- What are the best practices for releasing an open source project?
- Sourcecode with a license in header
- When to update the year in open source copyright notice?
- Should I use /* */ or /** */ for the copyright in the top of a java file?
- Writing copyright information in python code
- What kind of information do you expect to find at the beginning of each file of a project ? What is useful and/or required to mention ?
Authorship and copyright
- What are the good practices for mentioning authorship ? Is
Copyright (year) Name1, Name2, etc.a good option or should the names of the coders and the copyright information be displayed separately ?
- Should the license or parts of it appear in each file or (for example) just in the README file ?
- Is a disclaimer such as 'We cannot be held liable if your damage your machine while using this software' required each time ?