I spoke to my first potential client today and he told me about the requirements of his project - an Android app. He is a well-known designer / photographer in my country and now wants me to "convert the website into an app, custom-tailored".
So the requirements, details stripped out, are as follows:
- Aggregating all his content like videos, blogs, tweets, etc. into the app
- Live streaming any of his studio demos
- Augmented reality. So that people can see what his painting will look like on their wall before they buy it
- Taxi Sharing
Now, for a freelance project, it seems too over-scoped.
I am not saying that I cannot do it. I can. But let me be realistic:
- There is a steep learning curve when it comes to VR.
- I am not a tester. I have never white-box tested my own apps. I always black-box test.
- Since he is a renowned artist, something short of perfect might harm his public image
So, I asked him for 2 weeks' worth of time before I give him the final answer. Now knowing whom to consult for advise, I am posting the question here.
Although interesting and personally challenging, I am split-minded about accepting a project like this. I will be the only developer for this.
Should one reject a project that seems to be over-scoped for one's own abilities?