Since it's the holiday season now and everybody's making wishes, I wonder - which language features you would wish PHP would have added? I am interested in some practical suggestions/wishes for the language. By practical I mean:
- Something that can be practically done (not: "I wish PHP would guess what my code means and fix bugs for me" or "I wish any code would execute under 5ms")
- Something that doesn't require changing PHP into another language (not: "I wish they'd drop $ signs and use space instead of braces" or "I wish PHP were compiled, statically typed and had # in it's name")
- Something that would not require breaking all the existing code (not: "Let's rename 500 functions and change parameter order for them")
- Something that does change the language or some interesting aspect of it (not: "I wish there was extension to support for XYZ protocol" or "I wish bug #12345 were finally fixed")
- Something that is more than a rant (not: "I wish PHP wouldn't suck so badly")
Anybody has any good wishes?
Mod edit: Stanislav Malyshev is a core PHP developer.