the goal is to have an online documentation system, with these major requirements:
- will be mainly used as an intermediate stage for the final technical docs of all our application (which will probably never get completed though :]). It would be typically used as so: someone has a problem, I fix it, and write down the fix immedeately. What happens now is getting unmanagable: someone has a problem, I fix it, both me and someone are happy but 2 months later somebody else has the same problem and nobody remembers what the fix was.
- accessible from everywhere, running behind our apache server
- user/group managment, allowing read-only/read-write/admin access
- the format is not too important: plain text would do, wiki-style would be nicer though
- cheap or free
some ideas of mine:
- just serve files on a file share or through ssh (cons: not too copmatible with windows, pros: simple, can be any file type)
- keep it in an SCM (svn/git, idem as above but easier to access and control access)
- Confluence: we use Jira already, is Confluence worth it? How does it integrate with Jira?
- something else?
Please don't hesitate commenting on these or share your experience with other systems.