I recently considered contributing to an open-core software (a product which core is released with an open-source license by the company that developed it, but it retained a paid license for more advanced functionality). But some questions occurred about the nature of working with an open-core project, and I would like the input of the community. My question is would you still be motivated to contribute if:
- most if not all the software was contributed by paid developers.
- you'd be benefiting the finances of one company (opposed to benefiting the community)
- the direction of the software would be determined by the company and not by you (or the community).
I would like also for someone to confirm if those are myths or not
- implementing the same features that are sold by the company won't be allowed.
- forking the project won't be allowed (it might depend on the open-source license).
ps: Could someone create an "open-core" tag?