Let me explain this a little.
In a previous job, I had a coworker that has a good reputation with the management. He always finished on time. And the bosses were happy with his progress so het got certain privileges.
The problem was that the other programmers knew his secret. He has optimized the 80/20 rule, so he worked his 20 percent time to finish 80 percent of the code. The other (hard) 20% was left to the maintenance programmers. Who (not surprisingly) got penalized because of their lack of progress. But because this programmer had a good reputation with the management, it was almost imposible to shift the blame to him. (Fortunately he left the company).
My question is, what to do as programming team if you have such a programmer within your team. Do you try to warn management with risk of ruining your own chances? Do you accept the fact? Or are there other options.