I have seen a lot of different project organizations in different tertiary sector businesses but I have never felt that IT R&D projects were well organized.
I understand that R&D projects need flexibility, and less time-constrains to give free rein to innovation.
My guess is R&D projects organization need to be revised at a certain stage.
What is your experience about IT R&D organizations/methodologies - especially planning and resource management?
- Do you or your boss plan them from the beginning ?
- Do you or your boss ask for time reports ?
- When do you think it's time for a R&D project to enter a "standard" project organization stage ?
- Ommitting time limit, when do you think its time to get things done even if the goal is not totally reached ?
- Ommitting time limit, when do you think its time to give up if the goal is not reached ?
Both last ones are subjectives I know :/