I'm doing some prototyping locally that I would like to keep in source control (for backup and revert purposes) but I don't necessarily want to publish it as open-source or make available online for others to view.
What source control system would you recommend for local development? Any setup or walk through for my scenario is greatly appreciated.
I'm looking for:
- Easy setup and administration. As this is my local machine, I'm constrained to Window OS and would really like to minimize the amount of environment configuration changes and necessary learning curve. There will only be one user, so I don't want to configure access rights, etc.
- Low resource overhead, I want to host locally on my developer machine, so I don't want it sucking up my CPU. I don't plan on storing massive amounts of data, either.
- Familiar. I've used SVN clients before. Visual Studio integration is a nice-to-have.
- Portable. If I have to move it to a external drive or to another machine.
- Free. Yes I want it all and don't want to have to pay for it.