But seriously, what do you do during compiles or lengthy test runs except slacking off? I tried different approaches, but each has some flaws.
- Just wait: It's difficult to just stare at the screen and do nothing.
- Check email: This gets you out of the flow and doesn't give enough time to get the inbox to zero, in result you will have to process stuff more than once.
- Check the news: Before you notice you're going to have dozens of new browser tabs open.
- Take a walk: Probably the most healthy option, but you don't know when to return.
- Continue with coding: Seems most productive, but often you will have to backtrack a bit or switch context when the build completes.
PS. To be more specific, I'm thinking about builds taking 5-15min, and by build I mean both compilation and a full test run necessary before commit.