When people post code on forums they tend to change or blur out parts of their code. Probably because they want to protect certain parts that might be exploited if it ends up in the wrong hands, I guess?
But is it really necessary to do this?
Here are a couple of things I see a lot:
- Renaming id's and class names in html and css
- Renaming variables and functions in code
- Bluring out parts of a folder structure
- Changing stored procedure names and it's parameters
- Posting of example code rather than real code
Passwords and connection strings to the DB are obvious things you shouldn't post but how a bout the rest? Is it ok to give out a DB name? Is there anything in the web.config you shouldn't post? How about the .htaccess file on Apache or a folder structure on the system, etc...
Basically what I'm asking is which parts are safe to post and which are not?