This is an important question because "apply for a job/internship" isn't a solution for everyone especially during economic stress periods when constant rejection can push good programmers into depression.
Can people with experience briefly comment on other ways to get programming revenue:
- Creating "free for non-commercial" software
- Turning an idea into a startup with near-zero resources and not flopping
- Turning an idea into a startup with near-zero resources and coming out employed
- Using outsourcing sites and actually getting paid
- Making freeware and getting sponsors/advertisers (I know we all hate installer spam, but still)