I am given the charge of finding a version control + project management setup, and also training and maintenance, in addition to my regular jobs; I will be known as "the git guy" (or whatever) from now on.
We develop PHP (in netbeans), C# (in VisStudio) and Python in windows XP and Fedora. The system is to be hosted on Windows. We are five-strong and may aggressively jump to 8-10 soon
I myself shortlisted Mercurial + Redmine by rationalizing.
My rationales are:
- Its easy to admin and maintain
- easy to get started in Mercurial and has a gentle learning curve
- It supports solo and few-people workflows equally well
- Mercurial has usable GUI tools
- Redmine has a stable and integrated interface to Mercurial (TRAC is skirting around stable Mercurial support, making me nervous)
- Netbeans has stable and usable integration with Mercurial (I know Netbeans ships with Mercurial support but...)
My questions (in order of importance) are:
- Are my rationales valid or will my assumptions lead to costly mistakes later?
- Does this combination have issues that severely affect usability?
- Are there less painful combination for our small team (SVN+Trac for example)?
Some in SO have the opinion "Just get started!", but I want to play it safe.