Programmers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional programmers interested in conceptual questions about software development. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some mobile applications leverage the fact that smart phones have motion sensitivity to provide a "shake" feature.

For example, I believe Urban Spoon has an app with which you can view a recommendation for a nearby restaurant; if you don't like the recommendation then you can shake your phone and it will immediately come up with another one.

Is there a word for this new interface pattern/idiom/convention (or whatever you want to call it)?

share|improve this question
I think a better question is what defines a shake precisely? How aggressive does one need to move the phone to consider it a shake. – Chris Jul 20 '11 at 5:57
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Everywhere I see it, it is referred to as "shake" with various specific words tacked on like control, touch, phone, interface, etc.

Stack Overflow just tags it .

Some SO questions:

How Do I Detect When Someone Shakes an Iphone

How to use Shake API in iPhone SDK 3.0?

share|improve this answer
Seeing it referred to as "Shake" within the iPhone API itself was all I needed! – Dan Tao Jul 20 '11 at 5:32

The iPhone SDK framework has an event labeled in the documentation and headers as:


So "shake" sounds like the official name.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.