Scrum master became just a badge rotated between team members like a hot potato
Scrum Master role is full time. He ensures that the Scrum process is applied correctly.
Your problem is pretty clear to me: no scrum master, no scrum.
The latest official Scrum Guide has been published today. Here is the official definition of Scrum Master:
The Scrum Master is responsible for ensuring Scrum is understood and enacted. Scrum Masters
do this by ensuring that the Scrum Team adheres to Scrum theory, practices, and rules. The
Scrum Master is a servant‐leader for the Scrum Team.
The Scrum Master helps those outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions
with the Scrum Team are helpful and which aren’t. The Scrum Master helps everyone change
these interactions to maximize the value created by the Scrum Team.
Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner
The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
- Finding techniques for effective Product Backlog management;
- Clearly communicating vision, goals, and Product Backlog items to the Development Team;
- Teaching the Development Team to create clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Understanding long‐term product planning in an empirical environment;
- Understanding and practicing agility; and,
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.
Scrum Master Service to the Development Team
The Scrum Master serves the Development Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching the Development Team in self‐organization and cross‐functionality;
- Teaching and leading the Development Team to create high value products;
- Removing impediments to the Development Team’s progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed; and,
- Coaching the Development Team in organizational environments in which Scrum is not yet
fully adopted and understood.
Scrum Master Service to the Organization
The Scrum Master serves the organization in several ways, including:
- Leading and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning Scrum implementations within the organization;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product
- Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; and,
Working with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum
in the organization
Hire a trained Scrum Master or if you can afford it, a Scrum Coach.