Software documentation is written text that accompanies computer software. It either explains how it operates or how to use it, and may mean different things to people in different roles.
- Requirements: Statements that identify attributes, capabilities, characteristics, or qualities of a system. This is the foundation for what shall be or has been implemented.
- Architecture/Design: overview of software. It includes relations to an environment and construction principles to be used in design of software components.
- Technical: documentation of code, algorithms, interfaces, and APIs.
- End User: manuals for the end-user, system administrators and support staff.
- Marketing: how to market the product and analysis of the market demand.