The Joel Test is a quick test to check the quality of a company that you work for - or one you are interviewing with.
This is a simple "yes/no" test to determine the stability and quality of a company. Joel himself thinks that you should only work for companies scoring 11 or 12 out of 12 points.
The original test includes the following 12 questions:
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?